Family planning methods are divided as follows:
- Traditional / natural methods, including withdrawal method of contraception (coitus interruptus) or ejaculation outside the vagina, and methods based on awareness of the fertile period. These methods are also traditional.
- Modern methods, including:
- Hormonal methods: contraceptive pills, implants, skin patches, and contraceptive injections.
- Chemical means suppositories, ointments, spermicidal foams, and spermicides.
- Topical methods: vaginal septum, intrauterine device, male condom, and female condom (diaphragm).
- Emergency methods: high-concentration contraceptive pills, or the intrauterine device.
- Methods considered permanent: fallopian tubal ligation, vasectomy.